Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Unexplained blood in stool, blood in urine from LaxativePrep

darkestdays30 - Wed May 02, 2007 10:11 am

I had a colonoscopy last Tuesday to evaluate reason for bleeding & the laxative prep I used the day before caused me to start bleeding from my urine (visible red blood). Usually seen on the toilet paper but one day it was in the toilet & looked like I was having a period (my uterus was removed 1 1/2 yrs ago by the way). The blood hasn't been visible since Friday, but from checking it with urine test strips, it's still showing large amounts in my urine. I have had no other symptoms except some pain in my bladder & low left back side a couple of times. I have had chronic inflammation to my bladder for a long time. I figure the bleeding is from somewhere in my bladder. Could this clear up with time?

Colonoscopy did not reveal source of bleeding from stools either. The first time it happened, I could not eat w/o going to the bathroom within minutes (seen blood every time). Did not see any blood during the laxative prep. But then It happened again Sunday & I had severe pain in my upper abdomen. My bowels (when they work) are yellow, sticky, floating, & loose w) discharge. If this was rapid transit (I suspect I may have malabsorption), could the blood be from the upper GI Tract? I actually had black stools for a few days weeks before I saw the red blood mixed in it.
 darkestdays30 - Fri May 04, 2007 12:35 pm

I finally quit bleeding from my urinary tract but I'm still concerned about blood being mixed in my stools. My doctors aren't doing anything further to see why. Is it not necessary to find out what's wrong if the bleeding doesn't occur every day?