Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Mucus while going to bathroom.

 Jupi - Thu May 03, 2007 9:17 am

I started working the night shift around November of last year and since then my activity level declined sharply. Now the problem is – within a short time after going to the bathroom, I feel a sudden urge for another bowel movement, an urge somewhat hard to control. But when I go, there is nothing except some kind of mucus coming out little by little. Sometimes I feel another urge, and when I go I see mucus as clear as water coming out. Then I will be ok for the day. – I have lost family members to colon and prostate cancers, so I am really worried if this is any indication to a serious problem. I am not sure if I should go to the doctor because I have no pain, except sometimes-sudden sharp pain around my testes. What can this be? Should I be worried or go see a doctor? And, is my inactive life style has something to do with it? Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:27 pm

User avatar Bowel regularity can be impacted by many things. Diet and exercise can help maintain good regularity. Eating plenty of fiber can also help.

Mucous sometimes is an indication of inflammation of the colon or small intestines. Your symptoms may be due to an irritable bowel syndrome or other inflammatory state.

I would recommend that you see your doctor for an evaluation and possibly see a GI specialist. This way you can get set up on a treatment plan that will help alleviate your symptoms.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us