Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Embarrassing Question About Aging Father

 ilikecows13 - Fri May 11, 2007 3:43 pm

My dad is 60 years old this year. Three times in the last 3 months, I've had to rush out to bring him new clothes because he's had an 'accident' (of the #2 variety). His job is extremely stressful and he's constantly under pressure. However... he's had the same job for 20 years now and has never had this problem except for the last 5 years or so. It seems to be getting MUCH worse over time. He tells us he has talked to his doctor about it, but his doctor is just saying it's part of 'getting older'. I feel that this is a little bit too casual of such an embarrassing problem. He has never had a surgery of any kind. His father (my grandfather) actually died of complications due to colon cancer a couple of years ago. He is not currently on any medications. Thank you so much for your help. This is difficult for me to put out there, but I don't think I can talk to my dad's doctor for him.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:03 pm

User avatar There are several things that can produce such a problem. Often, there is some nerve damage that may have resulted from a condition such as long standing diabetes, spinal cord trauma, or other degenerative nerve diseases.

You may want to have your father see a GI specialist to have some testing of the colon muscles/nerve functionality to see if there are any deficits. The GI specialist will also be able to recommend appropriate treatment.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us