Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Cramping after eating, inability to gain weight

CO_68 - Fri May 11, 2007 9:26 pm

A couple things. It has always seemed that I have to go to the bathroom immediately after eating. I go out to eat and just walking to the car I really need to get home. I get cramps and then diarrhea almost every time I eat. I have been tested for celiac(spelling) disease, cystic fibrosis (not sure why on that one, but they did). I have always had the issue of not being able to gain weight, which I think may be related to my stomach issues. No doctor has been able to figure out what is wrong and I am running out of options. I thought I had it pinned down to fresh vegatables because if if had a salad during a meal, it seemed to be worse, but tonight all i had was eggs/hash browns/sausage. I am about 6ft, 135, every since i graduated high school 21 years ago. I really need some advice on where to go with this strange problem. Please help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:19 am

User avatar It may be that you have a GI motility problem or possibly something such as irritable bowel syndrome.

Also, there is a normal reflex that causes one to need to use the bathroom shortly after eating, called the gastrocolic reflex. In most people it is suppressible. You may have an exaggerated reflex.

I would recommend that you see a GI specialist to have your symptoms evaluated.