Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Vomitting & diarrhea immediately from eating anything

darkestdays30 - Wed May 16, 2007 2:24 am

What would cause someone to have a bowel movement within 1-2 minutes after eating food or vomit immediately after swallowing food?

I didn't eat anything yesterday but 1/2 pepperoni roll as I was too sick at my stomach to want anything. Earlier I had 3 spoonfuls of vanilla pudding and immediately went to the bathroom with diarrhea followed by 2 more times after trying to eat a little more, (bowels were watery yellow stools with discharge or mucus). Then I ingested about 6 pieces of corn to see if I could figure out how fast my transit time is, since corn doesn't digest. Immediately after swallowing it, I felt the urge to vomit. Within 1 minute, I puked 4 times & had diarrhea again.

I've had this happen to me last month too & I had blood in my stools. Nothing wrong showed up on the colonoscopy. The diarrhea did not occur unless I ate something, same as it is doing now.

What would cause me to react in such a way to food? It's any food, not anything in particular.

If this may indicate anything, my cholesterol was recently checked and this was abnormal: cholesterol 200, LDL 156, HDL 26. Triglycerides were normal.
 darkestdays30 - Wed May 16, 2007 4:27 am

I have Barrett's Esophagus. Could these symptoms be indicating cancer? I just read in a website that stomach cancer causes an inability to properly digest foods which is the problem I am having right now. Where I have had some blood in my bowels occasionally, how likely could this be?

First time I noticed this, my stools were black for 3 days. A month later, I had red blood mixed in my stools with rapid transit immediately from eating, (saw the blood all throughout that day), the third time I saw this, I had woke up during the night & saw it twice, rapid transit recurred. Today, I am not bleeding from my bowels but am having the inability to digest foods again.
 darkestdays30 - Thu May 17, 2007 12:11 pm

I had a gastroscopy done yesterday & found out I am bleeding from my upper GI tract, waiting on the results right now to find out why. But I have one other question. If the Barrett's hasn't turned into cancer, can something like Gerd cause malabsorption problems? These symptoms (diarrhea, bleeding, & vomitting when I try to eat) usually only affect me if I try to eat during the night or morning hours. Though I go all day/night without eating sometimes because of the nausea & pain I have from Gerd. The only thing that makes a huge difference is if I don't eat at all for days straight. For some reason, all foods make my Gerd worse. Makes it kind of hard for it to get any better.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us