Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: right mid-quadrant abdominal pain

 britney25 - Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:36 am

I am a 25 year old female. No PMH involving abdominal pain/issues. I do have a history of low back pain secondary to a bulging disc at L4-L5. No present back pain. No past surgeries are noted and there is no family history, except for my mother having appendicitis in 1993. Current medications include levoxyl, yasmin, allegra, and a multivitamin. I am having right sided mid quandrant abdominal pain approximately 2-3 inches below my right ribs. I did have blood tests which were negative for pancreas, gall bladder, appendix, and liver involvement. My pain is a sharp stabbing type pain as well as a pinching type pain when I take a deep breath, cough, laugh, or yawn. I also have this pain when I lie on my left side at night and when I try to stand up straight and even when I sit. The area feels better when I put pressure on it, when I lie on the right side and when I curl myself on my right side somewhat into a ball. When I release the pressure on that side, then I feel the sharp pain. At all times I feel a dull ache through this area. There is no radiating pain. The area is localized to an area approximately 2x2 inches. It should be noted this pain started only 2 days ago, but is already limiting me in my daily activities secondary to the pain. Thank you in advance for your suggestions/help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:07 pm

User avatar Your description makes me a little suspicious of some muscular inflammation, especially since the pain is worse with movement and better with pressure. Often, anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen are helpful with this type of pain.

If it doesn't go away or if you get worse you should see your doctor.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us