Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: right mid-quadrant abdominal pain

britney25 - Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:36 am

I am a 25 year old female. No PMH involving abdominal pain/issues. I do have a history of low back pain secondary to a bulging disc at L4-L5. No present back pain. No past surgeries are noted and there is no family history, except for my mother having appendicitis in 1993. Current medications include levoxyl, yasmin, allegra, and a multivitamin. I am having right sided mid quandrant abdominal pain approximately 2-3 inches below my right ribs. I did have blood tests which were negative for pancreas, gall bladder, appendix, and liver involvement. My pain is a sharp stabbing type pain as well as a pinching type pain when I take a deep breath, cough, laugh, or yawn. I also have this pain when I lie on my left side at night and when I try to stand up straight and even when I sit. The area feels better when I put pressure on it, when I lie on the right side and when I curl myself on my right side somewhat into a ball. When I release the pressure on that side, then I feel the sharp pain. At all times I feel a dull ache through this area. There is no radiating pain. The area is localized to an area approximately 2x2 inches. It should be noted this pain started only 2 days ago, but is already limiting me in my daily activities secondary to the pain. Thank you in advance for your suggestions/help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:07 pm

User avatar Your description makes me a little suspicious of some muscular inflammation, especially since the pain is worse with movement and better with pressure. Often, anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen are helpful with this type of pain.

If it doesn't go away or if you get worse you should see your doctor.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us