Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Please help! Raised bilirubin level in serum.

 mochida - Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:37 pm

Dear Doctor,

I have undergone a routine check up blood test today. I am a 24/M with clear medical history. The Full blood picture including the WBC differentials results are normal. Renal function normal. However, there is raised total Bilirubin level - 26umol/L (reference range 7-19). ALP, ALT, AST, protein, Albumin globulin are all within normal range. I have no signs of jaunice and history of Hepatitis. Would you mind telling me what are the possible causes? My physician said sometimes the level fluatuates but I am really worried. Thanks for your kind help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:00 pm

User avatar Your level is not too elevated. There are several causes of increased bilirubin. Given that you have no other issues with the liver (all enzymes are normal, etc.) it seems less likely that you are experiencing liver failure causing your elevation.

If, for some reason such as a viral infection or medication reaction, you had some increased breakdown of red blood cells your bilirubin levels can go up transiently.

Another common cause of an elevated bilirubin level is a condition called Gilbert's disease. This is a condition where the liver does not process bilirubin properly, leading to slightly elevated bilirubin levels. It is a harmless disease.

I would recommend you have your level repeated. If it remains elevated, I would strongly suspect Gilbert's disease but would recommend that you see a GI specialist to get an expert opinion.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us