Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: help: abdominal pain

carrie4 - Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:23 am

I've had stomach aches all my life, when I was little they diagnosed it as lactose intolerance, but I grew out of that. Lately, for the past couple of months, I've had reoccuring abdominal pain. It comes and goes, sometimes I won't have them for a couple of days, then it comes, then it goes away. The pain is right below my bellybutton, and a little towards the left. It's tender to the touch, and now the pain radiates down to my rectum, where's it 's kind of sharp pain now. I know it's not lactose intolerance, I drink milk every day. I've been wanting to go to the doctor, but I keep guessing it'll feel better, but it doesn't. Please help!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:56 am

User avatar Hi Carrie,
It could be a whole list of things. It could be colonic spasms usually associated with irregular bowel habits. Another common possibility for women of your age is pelvic inflammatory disease or pelvic congestion. For a comprehensive list of causes of abdominal pain divided according to the involved region please visit our abdominal pain page. Please refer to your doctor as soon as possible. Please let us know the outcome of your doctor's visit.

Regards,
 carrie4 - Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:16 pm

I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with IBS, and put me on Levsin. I still don't know yet if the medicine works or not, I haven't had any stomach aches yet, but they always came and went in the past. Thanks for replying so fast!