Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: black stool & white attachments to stool

lilonething - Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:31 am

Hi there,

I've had stomach pain and heartburn for years (I'm 30 now) and I have just gotten used to any strange things that may happen regarding my BM. Lately I had 5 days of black stool and when that stopped I started feeling dizzy and headachey. I thought it was just a bug, but mentioned it at my new patient physical when the doctor said my urine sample was off. He mentioned that I might have a bacteria (H. pylori?) and the black stool might be blood. I was going for blood tests anyway, so he added a few more to it. Since then I've been feeling worse (very dizzy and sharp pains in my chest/rib area). I don't know whether to wait for 2 weeks until my appointment to review test results or if I should tell him I feel worse. I haven't had any more black stool, but I have has white attachments on my stool and bad smelling jelly mucus coming out. I've had both of these many times before, but never worried about it until now. Could they be related to my problem? Should I be concerned about the dizziness and chest pain or wait it out? The doctor gave me an antacid sample (Nexium) but I have only taken it for two days so far and it doesn't have an effect...not yet anyway.

Thanks in advance!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:40 pm

User avatar If it were me, I would follow up with the doctor sooner and explain your additional symptoms, ongoing pain, etc. Good luck.
 lilonething - Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:37 am

Thanks for the response. I'm not so dizzy today. Do you know if there is a general cause for the white attachments to stool and the clear jelly fluid. I've had them many times and never worried before. Is it indicative of something?