Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: don't know why i get bad pains!!!

 scaredgrl - Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:14 pm

im 20 years old and the past few months ive been suffering from severe pains in my stomach! they only come every2 -3 weeks and lately they are alot stronger than before... when i get them i can barely breath and cry in pain its that bad i do get pains in my chest and sometimes in my back... i honestly thought i needed an ambulance the last day i got them! they only last about 10-15 mins but the last time i got it it wouldnt go for over an hour!!
i went to my doc and he said it could be a herinia or abdominal pain... i don't think these are cramps because i be in wild pain!!
lately ive lost over 3stone by eating very healthy.. but i don't eat junk food.. mainly fruit, cereal, salad, chicken.. so i don't no whats causing it???
have you any idea... or how to get it to stop..
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:39 pm

User avatar Hi Scaredgrl,

Your symptoms may be caused by a number of things. Intermittent pain in the stomach region may be due to gall stones or gallbladder disease. it can also be an initial presentation of inflammatory bowel disease (such as Crohn's disease). Gastritis and ulcers can also cause severe abdominal pain in the upper part of the abdomen.

If the pain is cyclic corresponding to your menstrual cycle, endometriosis is possible.

I would recommend you discuss with your doctor about having an abdominal ultrasound to look at the gallbladder. You may also want to have some screening labs done to look at your electrolytes, liver enzymes and pancreatic enzymes.

If your pain persists and you are not able to find an answer you may need to see a GI specialist.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us