Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Lower abdominal pain.

lando1 - Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:36 pm

Hello, for last month I have been experiencing pain right below my belly button and discomfort at the belly button area. The pain is constant, 24 hrs a day and seems to worse in the morning when waking up. The pain is about 6 to 7 on on a scale of 1 to 10. I do have days where the pain is less, but the feeling seems to come back. I have also have been constipated and experience diarea, bowel movement has been very irregular. I'm thinking it could be IBS,but I'm concerned with the pain I am constantly experiencing, does IBS cause constant pain or could it be a hernia or something else.

38 years old, male
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:16 pm

User avatar Hi Lando1,

IBS can cause some abdominal pain, although it generally is not specifically in one area. One possible cause is a meckel's diverticulum that can be producing acid and burning the intestines causing pain. (Generally meckel's are painless but not always.)

I would recommend that you see a GI specialist. You may need some imaging studies or an endoscopy to help determine what is going on.