Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: malrotation

theman61386 - Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:45 pm

I am a 21 year old male. I recently had a CT scan which has revealed a nice amount of things wrong with me. I have a case of spondylolysis. I have a 7mm lesion on my kidneys along with a cyst. My real problem is malrotation. I have been having stomach pain, bloating, knee pain, swollen hands, bloody stools, this being my main symptoms. I read that this most often requires surgery. My question is.....do you see this as being a surgical problem.....and what kind of outlook do I have seeing as they did not find this when I was young. Thanks for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:39 pm

User avatar Hi Theman61386,

Malrotation in itself is not a problem. The risk is that with malrotation it is much easier for the bowel to twist on itself (called a volvulus). These twists can cut off blood flow to the bowel causing it to begin to die.

This is considered a surgical emergency as bowel death leads to severe complications and even death.

I would strongly recommend you talk to a surgeon about the risks/benefits of having this repaired. There is no way to know for sure if you will develop a volvulus or not, unfortunately. Most people consider the risks too much.