Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Dependence on igital stimulation.

anon2005 - Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:06 am

For the past 5 years I've been using my finger to produce bowel movements. At first it was no problem but recently I've been experiencing bloating after eating and I feel like I don't empty enough and my lower stomach protrudes a lot. I can normally go once a day with this method but it takes me 20 mins to go an sometimes I skip days. I no longer have the urge to have a normal bowel movement.

Why do you think I can't eliminate this way anymore?

If I stop for a few weeks will the normal urge come back? Why is it gone?

I've had a colonoscopy that found nothing but very minor rectal inflamation. I cant bear to tell m doctor face to face though. I am hoping stopping and taking lots of physilium will give me the urge back.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:48 pm

User avatar Hi Anon2005,

I would be suspicious that you may have an underlying problem such as Hirschsprung's disease or celiac disease causing your constipation/problems with defecation.

I would recommend that you see a GI specialist to have some testing and get on a treatment plan.

Digital stimulation is not dangerous, per se. However, it is concerning that you are dependent on this for so long.

anon2005 - Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:32 am

i've been tested for cleiac, hirchprong, and had a colonoscopy.

i have a lump in my lower right abdomen though i can move it up and in. could this be a hernia. can hernias cause constipation.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:16 am

User avatar The area would not be typical for a hernia but they can occur if there is a weakness in the muscles of this area.

If a hernia is restrictive enough it could cause constipation.

It is probably worth seeing your doctor about for an evaluation.