Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Stomach pain for years - recent chest pain, relation?

 mmmira - Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:05 pm

Hello, I am 25 years old, female. I have been having stomach pains since high school, I thought it was ulcer. After treatment for H Pylori, blood tests suggested celiac, so I went to endoscopy, but nothing was found except mild gastritis. The pains feel like hunger pain, but do not necessarily vanish with meals. I haven't been treating this, but recently I have a strange pain in the chest, in the sternum area and slightly to the left - not strong, but like slight constant pressure, as if there is something inside. I can't say I have difficulty breathing though. I feared it was cardiac, did a 24 hours sinus rhythm test, which revealed second degree type one AV block, but as I understood from my doctor, it's not supposed to be causing pains or chest pressure. Chest x-ray showed nothing abnormal. What can it be? Can it be related to the gastric pains? My doctor will probably say it's nothing, but I'm bothered by it, because it's almost constant, I'd be glad to know what it is. Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:55 pm

User avatar Hi Mmmira,

Your pain may be related to the stomach. Frequently reflux will cause chest pain, even though it may not cause any abdominal pain.

You may want to try an over-the-counter antacid medication to see if you get any relief. If you do get some relief but not enough you can talk with your doctor about starting a prescription strength anti-reflux medicine.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us