Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Cyclical bowel changes and greasy stools

providence210 - Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:03 pm

Hi. I'm a 38 yr old female. 7 years ago I started having bloatedness, diahrea, and mid back pain on the right side. I went to a GI specialist and he did a colonoscopy and a barium enema. He said that I had IBS. So we left it at that. Over the years, it has come and gone, but in the last three years. it seems to have gotten worse. I have so much pain in my right upper abdomen and back and I have developed reflux also. I recently had an abdominal ultrasound done, and it came back normal. During the last three years, it seems as if I have had a cyclical virus every ten days or so. I say that because my stools seem to be normal, then after about ten days, they are loose and appear to be greasy, I get dizzy and my stomach bubbles and gurgles alot. My stomach also burns during this time.

I really don't know what to do anymore. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:52 pm

User avatar Hi Providence210,

I would recommend you see a GI specialist again. There are some new things in the GI field that may not have been tested for originally, like eosinophilic gastroenteropathy.

Also, I would recommend you be tested for celiac disease.