Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Severe Diarreah

jeezmeneti66 - Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:03 pm

I am a 41 year old female and have been experiencing what I would consider severe diarreah for about two days now. I have what feels like heartburn in my upper stomach below my chest and cramps that come and go with some severity. I have lost 8 lbs since this began and am beginning to worry. I am going to the bathroom about 6 or 7 times a day. Nothing but discolored water very yellow in color. My stomach rolls and gurgles all day. I also feel very nauseated but not vomiting. Although I haven't been diagnosed I believe that I suffer from IBS and have been for about three years. I have never had a case of diarreah to last even remotely this long. I am usually constipated and only have a bowel movement once a day.
 lorne604 - Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:29 am

sounds like a viral or bacterial infection... I had diarrhea for 9 days like you describe it.

could also be food poisoning...

keep hydrated and if this lasts longer for 3 days without improvement, please see a doctor and get this checked out.

you may need a stool sample.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us