Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Weakness and shortness of breath

angad singh - Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:15 am

I have this strange problem which i am facing. I was quite fit few months ago. I weighted around 163 Pounds and height 5'8. And have to be very careful with my diet, generally fat free. C'z i gain weight very quickly. I go to Gym regularly and do cardio as well as weight training exercises. I could digest each and every thing i eat. Suddenly 2 months back i started losing weight. Now i weight around 155 pounds and despite of increasing my diet with fatty foods i am unable to gain weight. I am always hungry now. If i don't get my meals on time i feel sick , weakness and shortness of breath. My stomach starts bloating. Sometimes my leg muscles get cramped and my bones generally sound pop/crackle which was never there before. My stools also changed, sometimes pale yellow, normally soft..arnd 2-3 times a day...earlier it was 1 or 2.. Sometimes when i am eating food i feel slight pain in my left stomach just below the rib. But it goes away after few minutes.

So, i went to GI docter. He performed following tests:
Liver, Stool, Urine, HIV, Hepatities & Diabetes. All are normal and he said ur stomach is producing some acid and he has given me medication for that.

Its been a 10 days since i m undermedication. But i have not gained weight. Althought i feel less weakness and shortness of breath. Pain has also reduced. Should i continue the medication or go for some other tests aswell ?

My family has no history of such problem. All are healthy. Can i get Celiac disease ?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:03 pm

User avatar Hi Angad Singh,

I would recommend you continue the medication you were prescribed unless your GI doctor recommends otherwise.

I would also recommend you continue to follow up with your GI doctor for further evaluation. Celiac disease is a possibility. Other conditions such as eosinophilic esophagitis can also cause these types of symptoms.

If you are not getting better further testing is likely needed.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us