Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Stomach Polyps

maiden75 - Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:29 am

I am a 31 year old female, with a past history of stomach pain, took lots of TUMS and Pepto before ever going to the doctor, never given an exact diagnosis, just giv\ven Nexium. About 2 years ago, I went to the doctor for stomach pain. She did an Upper GI, and found a few polyps. She said I should not be concerned about them and prescribed Nexium, which resolved my pain. I haven't needed to take it in quite some time, and I very rarely get the pain anymore. I have read that most polyps are removed, just to be safe. Should I ask that the polyps be removed, even though she says they are of no concern?? What would cause her to think they are not of any concern? I just feel like everything I've read shows that they should be taken out, and it is worrying me!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:20 pm

User avatar Unlike colon polyps, small stomach (gastric) polyps rarely become cancerous. If they were large or there were many of them the doctor would have likely ordered a gastroscopy to get a better idea of the type of polyp. I suspect this decision was made based on the size and quantity of polyps found in your stomach.