Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Stomach Polyps

maiden75 - Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:29 am

I am a 31 year old female, with a past history of stomach pain, took lots of TUMS and Pepto before ever going to the doctor, never given an exact diagnosis, just giv\ven Nexium. About 2 years ago, I went to the doctor for stomach pain. She did an Upper GI, and found a few polyps. She said I should not be concerned about them and prescribed Nexium, which resolved my pain. I haven't needed to take it in quite some time, and I very rarely get the pain anymore. I have read that most polyps are removed, just to be safe. Should I ask that the polyps be removed, even though she says they are of no concern?? What would cause her to think they are not of any concern? I just feel like everything I've read shows that they should be taken out, and it is worrying me!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:20 pm

User avatar Unlike colon polyps, small stomach (gastric) polyps rarely become cancerous. If they were large or there were many of them the doctor would have likely ordered a gastroscopy to get a better idea of the type of polyp. I suspect this decision was made based on the size and quantity of polyps found in your stomach.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us