Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: rectal bleeding

speechcb - Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:34 pm

[b]
    my mother in law (64) was admitted into the hospital because her blood level was a 5 they said she had internal bleeding, they did a stool test, and it was fine, after 3 transfusions, they decided to prepare her for a colonoscopy, to see if she was bleeding (polyps) now she is bleeding from the rectum.... is this all related, could this be the initial cause of the internal bleeding?
    She also had a valve replacement 8 years ago, and has been on cumadin her cumadin levels are ok

Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:29 pm

User avatar Hi Speechcb,

Bleeding colonic polyps can cause significant blood loss because it is slow and often unnoticed until blood levels get quite low.

Colonoscopy is an important step to see if the source of the bleeding can be located.

I'm not sure if this answers your question. If it doesn't please post a follow up and I'll try to be more specific.

speechcb - Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:57 pm

HI...thanks for the information.Today she had the colonoscopy, and there were not any polyps...there was a lot of tried blood...the doctor said something about the veins? also the are biopsing some"debris" that was found in her stomach