Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Vomiting following smoking (after eating).

chainsmoker - Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:58 pm

For some reason now, and this has been for awhile, after I eat, and then smoke a cigarette, I vomit, its not always, but its often enough, the only time I don't is if I fight the gag reflex. More strange, is that the gag reflex is there for up to a couple of hours after eating. Its often enough, that its concerning. I've also started vomiting in the morning after having my first cigarette.<P>

I'm 6 feet (male), 30 years old, and 170 pounds, and not looking to lose any weight, I can't understand whre this gag reaction came from. I don't always vomit when I smoke, its only after I eat and then smoke does the gag kick in. The only surgury I had was last year and that was for a hernia, but I doubt that is related to this.
<P>
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:26 pm

User avatar Perhaps your body is trying to tell you something. Of course you can't quit eating but if you quit smoking you can have some life-long benefits. Seems like it would be worth it.

Aside from this obvious solution, you may want to see an ear/nose/throat doctor to see if there is some kind of obstruction.

Good luck

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us