Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Constipation, blood in stools for 9 months - 34 years old

johnunknown - Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:22 am

im a 34 year old male ive been diagnosed with severe depression im currently taking citalopram 60 mg
buspirone 60mg and trazodone 100 mg
my problem started about 9 months ago i was really constipated which was never a problem before that time. i was taking 300 mg of trazodone then. so i don't think that was the problem (never had a problem before on that amount)
anyways when i had a movement it hurt really bad and there was a little bit of blood on the stool and paper
my problem is 9 months later when i have a movement even though they are very narrow. sometimes its even wide on one edge and narrow width wise its still painful ive tried taking colace and exlax for more than 3 weeks
at a time and it would cause diarrhea but when i stopped taking it. the problem returns, my stools arent hard it even hurts at times when its almost like diarrhea but not quite that way
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:23 pm

User avatar Hi Johnunknown,

There are a few possible things going on. First, sometimes when one has constipation for a prolonged time then begins having more soft or liquid stools it is because there is a stool impaction higher in the intestines and the more liquidy stool is leaking around it.

I am a little concerned about your description of narrow stools. This sometimes means there is a constriction of the colon causing the stool to be narrowed.

I would recommend you see your doctor to have a full evaluation and see if there are other medications that may be helpful for you.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us