Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Anaemia from piles, please help!!

kiri46 - Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:04 pm

hi,
i am a 20 year old female who has been suffering with digestive problems for about 2 years now.

I have had hard stools in the past which have caused piles and have been unresponsive to a change in diet (i eat very healthly, alot of fibre and water) I suffer from cramps and bloating and more recently alot of anal bleeding. There was an episode where my bowel movements were fine but it only lasted a week or so. Most other times there is blood on the tissue or more recently in the toilet bowl after passing a stool.

I have been to the doctors and all they give me is suppositories and lactolose which doesnt seem to work.

I have began feeling extremely fatigued, have headaches and now have swollen tonsils. Could it be anaemia due to the loss of blood?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:43 pm

User avatar Hi Kiri46,

It is certainly possible to become anemic from ongoing blood loss. Anemia can also cause fatigue.

A simple blood test can determine if you are anemic. Also, I would recommend that you follow up with your doctor regarding the constipation issues. Lactulose is generally very effective if enough is taken. You may need to talk with your doctor about increasing your dose.