Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: problems with colonoscopy prep

susieQ1 - Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:33 am

I am 64 yr old F with MCS, seizures, hypoglycemia & auto immune problems. I am allergic to most drugs I have taken & the ones I didn't have allergy to I had side effects from. Has anyone not been able to do the colonoscopy prep? I was told the least invasive one would be 2 TBSP magnesium sulfate in the a.m. & 2 TBSP in p.m. I made it thru 2 tsp b/4 collapsing. Enemas also cause me to faint or have seizure. What can I do to get thru this w/o making myself sicker? Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:06 pm

User avatar Hi SusieQ1,

Colon preparation is an important step to being able to perform a useful colonoscopy. If you are unable to tolerate the preparation solutions it is important you let your doctor know this.

You may need to be admitted to the hospital the night before so that you can be given IV fluids, etc. during the clean out to help prevent problems.