Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Uncontrollable flatulence

 chaseyleon - Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:36 pm

Dear Doctors,

My embarrassing problem is that i am passing wind without even realising it. I don't feel the need to pass wind, i don't feel myself doing it or anything. And yet i will be, for example, at work, and all of a sudden there is a foul eggy smell around me. I know for sure it is me because i have had this problem for over a year now. It is definitely not in my head as everyone around me has commented on the eggy smell. It is extremely embarrassing, and i have even left work early due to the embarrassment. It happens a lot particularly when i have been standing for a long period, or when i am walking. It is getting me really depressed.
Any help would be appreciated, Thank you so much.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:52 pm

User avatar This can fall under the diagnosis of fecal incontinence, even though feces are not being passed. There is still a lack of control in the area. This can be treated so you should see a doctor. A gastroenterologist could be helpful here. You might need to make some dietary changes, using perhaps a gas elimination diet. But, it is good to see if there is any structural impairment causing you to have decreased sphincter control.

Good luck.
 chaseyleon - Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:38 pm

Thanks for your advice. If i were to go to a gastroenterologist, what sort of tests would be involved? Thanks.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us