Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Uncontrollable flatulence

chaseyleon - Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:36 pm

Dear Doctors,

My embarrassing problem is that i am passing wind without even realising it. I don't feel the need to pass wind, i don't feel myself doing it or anything. And yet i will be, for example, at work, and all of a sudden there is a foul eggy smell around me. I know for sure it is me because i have had this problem for over a year now. It is definitely not in my head as everyone around me has commented on the eggy smell. It is extremely embarrassing, and i have even left work early due to the embarrassment. It happens a lot particularly when i have been standing for a long period, or when i am walking. It is getting me really depressed.
Any help would be appreciated, Thank you so much.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:52 pm

User avatar This can fall under the diagnosis of fecal incontinence, even though feces are not being passed. There is still a lack of control in the area. This can be treated so you should see a doctor. A gastroenterologist could be helpful here. You might need to make some dietary changes, using perhaps a gas elimination diet. But, it is good to see if there is any structural impairment causing you to have decreased sphincter control.

Good luck.
 chaseyleon - Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:38 pm

Thanks for your advice. If i were to go to a gastroenterologist, what sort of tests would be involved? Thanks.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us