Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Is CT scan to diagnose diverticulitis effective?

inokc - Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:25 pm

I'm 53, female. I have diverticulosis and suspected diverticulitis though it has not been diagnosed. Over the weekend I became sick with my typical symptoms: sharp abdominal pain, fever, gas/

The doctor on call prescribed Cipro and Flagil and told me to call first thing Monday (today) for a CT scan. Because the doctor's scheduler sat on this all day the request was not sent to the hospital for scheduling. In addition, my insurance company wants anywhere from 3-10 days for preapproval.

My question is when does a CT scan's use as a diagnostic become moot? I've been on the antibiotics for 3 days. If I ever do get scheduled, I don't want the cost and radiation to go for naught. Does anyone know?
Thanks
Leslie
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:24 pm

User avatar Hi Inokc,

If your symptoms are getting better you may not need to have the CT scan. If this is the case I would suggest that you contact your doctor to see if you still need the scan.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us