Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Mild burning lower right abdomen

gs600 - Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:13 pm

Hello,

26 year old male. I started drinking alcohol at 22. Six months into drinking, went from weekends only, to almost every day at least six beers per day. This continued until slightly over a year ago when I felt a moderate burning sensation and mild bloat in mid-lower right abdomen. I completely abstained from alcohol for 4 months after this, sensation went away within first few weeks. I drink only once to twice a month now, sometimes slightly more. Sometimes I get a mild burning sensation only after drinking, that goes away within a few days. It is in the lower right abdomen just to the right of navel. Going to permanently abstain from alcohol from now on.

-Was curious about lower right mild burning reaction after consuming alcohol
-If this is a symptom of the more advanced liver fibrosis or cirrosis. I have not felt nausious or have any loss of appetite, no yellowing

Thank You.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:54 pm

User avatar Hi Gs600,

Most likely you are experiencing some irritation of the intestinal mucosa from the alcohol. This is known to occur in some people. It may take a little while to develop.

This would be an unusual presentation for cirrhosis so I doubt this to be the cause.

Basically, the treatment is to abstain from alcohol if alcohol is the only thing that is causing the problems.

Best wishes.
 gs600 - Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:02 pm

Thanks again Dr. Lowe.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us