Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: obgyn discovered a hernia, what kind of MD handles this ?

 problems101 - Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:53 pm


My pelvic pain is from a hernia, my obgyn has selected a surgeon. Does this mean I need a gastro MD in the furture?

My pain is a dull ache, I've read that some people do nothing if it doesn't bother them-- Does this mean I can do what I do normally? I work at the family furniture store & I lift quite a bit. I can slow up my lifting but today I discovered it's more habitual to just grab & move things around without thinking-- is that ok?

 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:34 pm

User avatar Hi Diane,

A hernia is when the intestines move through a weakness or opening in the abdominal wall. Usually a general surgeon can take care of this. If you are not actually having GI issues and all your issues are related to this hernia you may not need to see the GI specialist anymore.

Given that you are having symptoms I would not recommend simply leaving it alone. Also, while the hernia is present it is best to avoid heavy lifting. Lifting increases abdominal pressure which can force the intestines through the hernia more than usual.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us