Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Stomach Attack AFTER gall bladder surgery

 worried3mom - Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:12 pm

My daughter, age 28, not pregnant, is having a severe "stomach attack" at this moment. Summarized version: Started 1 1/2 years ago, ends up in the emergency room due to sharp, burning pain in her midsection between sternum and belly button. After many months of blood tests, ultrasound, CT scan, endoscopy, and hydascans, the gastro doctor treats small peptic and duodenal ulcers, which clear up. The attacks continue weeks apart, so a surgeon takes out the gall bladder. This was 4 months ago and now we are back to square on with the attack today. Medications have been tried...anti-spasmodic, anti-depressant, Darvocet, Percocet. Nothing helps. After 14 hours she is starting to get some relief, but the all over burning continues in her midsection. She is moving around a cold cloth to the spots which are causing the most pain. The pain will eventually stop and by tomorrow this whole area will be very tender. Now that she knows she won't die from this she doesn't go into the emergency room because her wonderful teacher's insurance will leave too many bills. We all feel so helpless.....parents and husband. Should we get her in to MAYO or U of M? Please someone, help us!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:48 am

User avatar Hi worried3mom,
In some cases after a cholecystectomy one can develop a colic type pain or spasms sometimes referred to as postcholecystectomy syndrome. A clinical evaluation by a Gastroenterologist would be warranted along with some diagnostic studies such as MRCP (Magnetic resonance
cholangiopancreatography), ERCP(endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography), or an EGD(Upper GI Endoscopy) to identify the causative factor of the pain.
Best wishes.
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us