Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: liver damage

 ray198 - Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:12 am

i am 32 year old male i go to the gym atleast 3 times a week and run about 5 km or more.I do consume alcohol on weekends and drink about 6 drinks in each session i also smoke around 10-15 cigrattes a day.. . I also suffer from contipation.Recently i had gone to a doctor as i suffering hair loss since the last year.So the doctor advised that i undergo a blood test.. My blood test to my surprise came out to be abnormal.. Here are the results
Total cholestrol: 7.1
Tryglyceride: 2:4
( hdl and ldl were somehow not done )
general chemistry glucose fasting: 5.7
My liver test showed
ggt: 121 UL
alt: 82 UL
As for my family history my father suffers from hypothyroidism.. he has also got a heart attack and has undergone angioplasty.. there is also a history of diabetese in both my father and mothers (Parents) but my parents don't suffer from it nor do my brothers..
I have been advise to under take lipid profile, glouse tolerance test , gtg, uric acid , t3 t4 thyroid profile
I am really concerned and would greatly appreciate any advise as to what i do next
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:57 pm

User avatar Hi Ray198,

These liver values are only slightly elevated. There are many different causes of this. It is very possible that you have a slight viral infection causing this. Another consideration that should be evaluated for is a condition known as steatohepatitis or "fatty liver". It can develop when the lipids in the blood are elevated.

Before getting too concerned I would recommend that you have these levels repeated in 4-6 weeks to see if they have returned to normal. If they remain elevated there are several tests that may help such as an abdominal ultrasound to look for any evidence of steatohepatitis.

Seeing a GI doctor may also be helpful.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us