Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Bloodtest results and liver disease

Psue1959 - Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:13 pm

I am a 48 year old woman with flu like symptoms for the last year. I began feeling horrible two days after christmas of last year. Before this I was diagnosed with Sero-negative RA and have had normal blood tests ( did have an elevated sed-rate of from 40 - 90 during that 10 years) results since going on medication 10 years ago. The last 5 years, I have also had an elevated C-reactive Protein. The last year I have been running fevers (most low grade from 99 to 101), lost over 80 lbs, have no appetite, and am always tired. Along with all the changes, I began experiencing upper stomach pain....when I do eat I feel full, experience nausea and when feeling too full will vomit, the joint pain has moved from my large joints [knees, hips, back] to smaller joints of elbows, neck, and lately my hands (with horrible morning stiffness). My blood tests have been all over the place and is what is really making me nervous - the latest being: Albumin - blood {3.2}, WBC {14.3}, Ly# {5.1}, PLT {500}, Chloride {99}, AST {53}, ALT {87}, Sed-rate {80}, Neutrophils {76}, Neutrophils - absolute {8.1}, C-Reactive Protein {22.3}, TSH Sensitive {10.18}, Transferrin Saturation % {18} and all other bloodtest were in normal range. And I have been through a lot of blood drawn lately. I'm really worried what all this change in the last year means because I have dealt with chronic pain most of my adult life. The last year has knocked me off my feet. I just had an ultra-sound of the abm. and the liver was enlarged and fatty, had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and was diagnosed with GERD and hernia. Should I be concerned and what should I ask my doctor? Thanks for any help you can give me. Also I did have a Cholecystectomy in 1990, 12 surgeries on my knees from 1981-1987, and a tonsillectomy when I was 5 yrs old. Thanks for any help you can give me.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:31 am

User avatar Hi Psue1959,

If you are not currently seeing a rheumatologist I would strongly recommend you do so. Your lab values in general support inflammation. I did notice that your TSH level was 10.18. Be sure to check with your lab for their normal values but in many labs this would be considered significantly elevated. If this is the case it would signal the presence of hypothyroidism that could certainly be making you feel poorly.

Hypothyroidism is most commonly due to an autoimmune attack on the thyroid gland. When a person has one autoimmune disease, such as your rheumatoid arthritis, it increases the risk of developing another one.

I would recommend that you follow up with your doctor about your symptoms to see if a cause can be found. Hopefully you'll be able to get a proper treatment soon so you can start feeling better.