Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Diverticulosis/differential diagnosis

nunez67 - Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:00 pm

I am a 39 year old female breast cancer patient. The subtype of bc I have--invasive pleomorphic lobular--tends to metastasize to the abdominal cavity due to the nature of the cell growth.

My abdominal CT and PET/CT both showed diverticulosis. As I am only 39 and have always had a high fiber diet, I was surprised by this finding. I have read that a differential diagnosis of diverticulosis can be colon cancer, so I would think it would follow that the diverticulosis could also possibly be breast cancer mets.

However, my PET/CT did not light up the colon. Would it be safe to assume the diverticulosis is just diverticulosis based on the PET? What other imaging or diagnostic techniques would be useful in distinguishing diverticulosis from colon metastises? Thanks in advance.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:13 am

PET scan can differentiate between cancers and noncancerous lesions with a very high degree of accuracy. Please note, that it is very unlikely that breast cancer metastasize to the colon.

I think you should follow your doctor's instructions and discuss it further with him if you need to.