Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Positive bacterial breathing test

 taz - Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:15 pm

I am 39 and have had stomach issues for about 11 months now. I had a bacterial breathing test about 3 weeks ago and it was positive. They gave me an antibotic but the pain still comes and goes. My pain is in my left rib cage alot. Is this a sympton with this bacterial overgrowth. I can' find anything that says it is. I am at my whitts end as theyhave completed so many test and this is the only one that came back positive and now the meds don't seem like they worked. I am very nervous and don't know what to do next. Any suggestions? It seems like the pain fluctuates and moves alot. It's not a major pain I would say more discomfort but worrysome. Please help. Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:24 pm

User avatar Hi Taz,

I suspect that the breath test you had was for a bacteria called H. Pylori. H. Pylori is a bacteria that can cause ulcers and stomach inflammation. Treatment for this bacteria consists of taking an antibiotic, an acid blocker and often a stomach lining coating agent. There are a few different treatment regimens that use various different combinations of all three of these classes of medicines (some use 4 drugs).

The antibiotic kills the bacteria but the stomach still needs to heal. It can take several weeks or, in some cases, months for the stomach to fully heal. If there is concern that things are not going as expected, often an endoscopy (where a small camera is used to look at the stomach lining directly) is performed to see exactly what is going on and how best to treat it.

If your symptoms are not slowly getting better I would recommend you see a GI specialist for further evaluation.

Best wishes.
 taz - Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:00 pm

I went for an endoscopy after no results of getting better. The endoscopy came out fine. I was told however that I had the worse reaction to the test (when the air hit my stomach I gagged -GI dr said it was the worse case he had seen in over 20,000 procedures. He did a blod test to ck for a gluten allergy. That just came back normal as well. He now wants to try to put me on Domperidone (not sure if I spelled it right. Have no idea what this is and if I should do. He didn't explain anything. Had his nurse call and tell me to take it. I am confused and very nervous. I still have the pain under my rib cage. Mainly on left side under breast but sometimes on the right side. I get a burning sensation in my back it seems sometimes as well. I am concerned this could be something very serious although I feel I have had every test under the sun and everything comes back negative. I am happy to that but concerned all at the same time. Is there any reason my stomach could have been this sensitive. Everyone I talk to said the test was a piece of cake. My endoscopy was not. Please give me any suggestion. I am lost. This has been going on now over a year. Thank you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us