Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pain above pubic bone

 hinchcliffe - Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:01 pm

Hello, I am a 53 year old female and have been having pain on and off for several days above the pubic bone-right in the area of my 14 year old cesarean scar. It happens several times a day-sort of a jolt of pain that last only a second or two There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, it doesn't happen if I am sitting or standing a certain way etc. . I have had no change in bowel habits, no fever, and I don't feel any swelling or lumps along the incision. I had my annual check up with my OBGYN in October before this started an everything was fine. I was doing some heavy lifting last week and was wondering whether I could have strained or pulled a ligament/muscle or in some way irritated the incision scar? If so, what can I do to treat it? Thanks for your time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:21 pm

User avatar Hi Hinchcliffe,

There are a few possibilities regarding what may be going on. While it is unlikely after 14 years, there is a small possibility that you have developed a hernia through your incision site.

The location of the pain may also be indicative of a bladder infection. These can be present without fever, although they generally give some other symptoms like pain with urination, increased urination and increased urgency with urination. (These symptoms are not 100% though.)

With the lifting it is very possible that you have pulled a muscle.

If these pains continue I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us