Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Vicoden and Liver pain(?)

echo - Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:08 am

I have been a social drinker for about 12 years, and within the last year have drank more than usual. I usually drink beer, but also drink wine and will sometimes drink a bottle of wine in one night. I recently had a knee injury and was prescribed vicodin. I have had a total of 3 vicoden in the past 5 days, and one day drank 3 beers with the vicodin. Since then, I have had a weird pain in my right side of my abdomin for about 3 days. it's more of a discomfort than a pain and it does seem to radiate from my side, under my rib, further down, and in my back.

Is this a sign of liver disfunction from alcohol, and acetametophin? Should I consult a doctor? I'm not sure if I really have a medical problem, or if I'm being paranoid. Please respond, and thank you for your time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:59 pm

User avatar Hi Echo,

Both alcohol and acetaminophen can be damaging to the liver in quantities too high. Your pain may be from some liver inflammation or may be from several other things, including some gastritis or intestinal inflammation or possibly even the gallbladder.

The amounts you are describing would typically be considered safe for most people but some do react to even small amounts at times.

If your pain continues I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation to figure out why you are having this.