Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Severe abdominal pain

 kharaa - Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:08 am

* Age: 21
* Sex: Male
* Past diagnoses: Irritible Bowel Syndrom, Depression, Panic Disorder and Tinnitus
* Past surgeries: Tonsols removed, Wisdom Teeth removed, and i've had a Upper GI
* Family history: Cancer, Diabetes
* Current medications: Xanax, and Nexium

I woke up in the middle of last night, feeling sort of sick(about 2 or 3 AM) feeling a bit queasy, but later on the pain kept getting worse, and by about noon I was in agony, on the scale of 1 - 10 it could of been described as a 7.

It got worse when lieing down, and it was acompanied by heartburn, a weird gurgling vibration in my stomach area, more towards the right side. even drinking water seemed to make me sicker, much less food. the pain is also radiating to my back.

the pain was nearly maddening.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:22 pm

User avatar Hello,

I hope you are feeling better. It would be impossible for us to assess the causes of your abdominal pain without a proper clinical examination.

Right upper quadrant abdominal pain as you describe it can be due to many causes including gall bladder disease (related to fatty foods and colicky in nature). Colonic pain from irritable bowel syndrome is a possibility. Dyspepsia is a very likely cause if the pain is related to food, water intake.

You will need a proper assessment. If indeed this is dyspepsia you may need to receive urgent therapy.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us