Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Healthy 42 yr old experiencing upper right abdominal pain

 happy2day - Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:21 pm

I have no underlying conditions that I am aware of. I am 42, slim, very athletic-ride 100 miles a week on my bike. Don't smoke, no drugs, drink maybe two glasses of wine a week. Married 18 years. About two months ago, started having burning mid upper abdominal, wake up at night, gassy, have bowel movement and feel better. Three weeks ago, the pain started feeling like a fist mid to side upper right, burning and severe pressure. I had to go to ER thinking I was having a heart attack- dizzy, couldn't breathe and severe indigestion. Ruled out heart and sent me to GI. Doc is very good. Abdominal ultrasound came back normal. Scope of stomach and esophogus normal. Hida-Scan normal. Bloodwork normal. Problem is the pain is constant, right side under ribs, can touch and it is tender. Too much physical activity seems to make it worse. Eating makes it much worse. Feel best in morning when I haven't eaten all night. I feel exhausted.and very sick I am seriously burbing like crazy for the first time in my life. My mother said my grandmother had terrible problems with her gallbladder and had it eventually removed. Is it possible that my gallbladder could still be a problem. What tests would you recommend at this point. I think my doc is starting to think it is stress or something. I am very well balanced and rarely get sick. I would like to get to the bottom of this thing. Thank you in Advance for your caring and advice.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:58 pm

User avatar Hello -

Your problems most definitely fit within one possible clinical picture of cholecystitis (inflammed gallbladder, usually with stones and/or sludge). A cholecystogram should already have been performed given your various other workups without a diagnosis, to rule this in or out. Right-sided pain, tenderness, fullness, gas, bloating burping, etc., especially when worse after eating and less so when not having eaten all are highly suggestive of gallbladder problems.

A cholecystogram can pretty clearly define the condition and function (or non-function) of the gallbladder and, along with your symptoms and history, could make the diagnosis and head you toward getting this fixed (laparoscopic removal of the gallbladder is a fast, simple operation that would have you inconvenienced for a day or two) and usually causes most, if not all symptoms to resolve quickly. The gallbladder isn't remotely necessary to life, so it wouldn't be missed.

I hope you have or will soon get this rule in (or, perhaps, out) and will be feeling much better. Please let us know how things go for you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us