Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Best way to lower GGT

 md1973 - Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:03 am

Good Morning,
I recently had blood work done due to having extreme cases of constipation and also presence of ammonia in my stool.
Luckily, my lab results came back pretty darn good, however my GGT was elevated to 105.

I take a relatively large amount of analgesics due to back pain as well as an antidepressant. I do drink from time to time which is not necessarily good considering I had gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago. I also had my gallbladder removed at that time as well. My liver was also looked at and it was enlarged and fatty (typical of being obese).

ALT is 16
AST is 19
Both are within normal range.

So, my question is, other than cutting out the alcohol (which I am now going to do), are there other ways to get my GGT back down to a normal range? Also, what is the best way to get my liver back into shape and functioning perfectly?

I am sluggish all the time and feel generally "blah" and want to get my health back on track.

Thank you for your assistance!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:47 pm

User avatar Hello Md1973,

GGT is an enzyme that is produced by the biliary tree. This includes the bile ducts of the liver, external biliary ducts and gallbladder. Often, it will become elevated when there is a blockage of the biliary tree, most commonly due to gallstones.

In your case, it may be related to some sludging of bile within the liver. With the enlarged fatty liver, treating and improving this will likely bring the GGT level down.

If it remains elevated you may want to see a GI specialist for further evaluation.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us