Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: colonoscopy prep & protein powder

susieQ1 - Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:00 pm

Someone told me that their GE let them drink soy protein powder during their prep to keep their blood sugar from getting low. I've never heard this b/4. Is there a reason why we shouldn't have soy or rice protein powder if it will keep us conscious during a prep? I would of course check with my personal physician but I'm curious as to why this would not be ok. Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:26 am

User avatar I'm not sure I understand your question in regards to consciousness during the procedure. Are you saying that the protein powder would keep you awake? I doubt this would be the case. During the previous day when allowed to eat or drink, there is usually no restriction as to what that is. If you have a prescribed period of clear liquids only, then protein powders would not be included. Once you become NPO (nothing by mouth) you should do exactly that - nothing by mouth. The reasoning though, has nothing to do with consciousness during the procedure, but with emptying the bowel so the doctor gets a clear view of the inside of your intestines.

Different physicians do have differing instructions on the prep. They have established what they feel is the best clean-out procedure for the bowels. You will find a vast array of laxatives, and instructions by different doctors. I advise you to follow your doctor's instructions.

Good luck and congratulations for having these preventive medical procedures for good health.
 susieQ1 - Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:39 am

Sorry I was not clear on what I mean by conscious during prep. I have low blood sugar & if I don't get protein throughout the day I pass out. Once that happens I will not be able to finish the prep. A protein drink would probably help. thanks for your reply.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us