Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: colonoscopy prep & protein powder

susieQ1 - Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:00 pm

Someone told me that their GE let them drink soy protein powder during their prep to keep their blood sugar from getting low. I've never heard this b/4. Is there a reason why we shouldn't have soy or rice protein powder if it will keep us conscious during a prep? I would of course check with my personal physician but I'm curious as to why this would not be ok. Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:26 am

User avatar I'm not sure I understand your question in regards to consciousness during the procedure. Are you saying that the protein powder would keep you awake? I doubt this would be the case. During the previous day when allowed to eat or drink, there is usually no restriction as to what that is. If you have a prescribed period of clear liquids only, then protein powders would not be included. Once you become NPO (nothing by mouth) you should do exactly that - nothing by mouth. The reasoning though, has nothing to do with consciousness during the procedure, but with emptying the bowel so the doctor gets a clear view of the inside of your intestines.

Different physicians do have differing instructions on the prep. They have established what they feel is the best clean-out procedure for the bowels. You will find a vast array of laxatives, and instructions by different doctors. I advise you to follow your doctor's instructions.

Good luck and congratulations for having these preventive medical procedures for good health.
 susieQ1 - Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:39 am

Sorry I was not clear on what I mean by conscious during prep. I have low blood sugar & if I don't get protein throughout the day I pass out. Once that happens I will not be able to finish the prep. A protein drink would probably help. thanks for your reply.