Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: skin hanging from anus

 5anonymous8 - Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:03 pm

about 5 years ago I has two hemeroids removed with what was called the ruberband procedure. I now have leftover skin that hangs from the outerpart of my anus making it difficult to keep clean after borl movements. Can this be removed and if yes what type of doctor should I contact. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:45 pm

User avatar Hello,
Sometimes the remnants of hemorrhoids remain and you may not be able to eliminate all excess tissue without risking too much scarring that could affect the function of that muscle. But, only a doctor can determine if this is something that could be fixed without causing problems. You should see a colorectal surgeon or proctologist about this.

Good luck.
 5anonymous8 - Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:34 am

Thank you I really appreciate your help!!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us