Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Cramp in lower right rib area

 karobis - Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:49 pm

I am a 50 year old male that has been in relatively good shape all my life. In the last few months I have been getting a pain in my lower right rib area that comes and goes but more frequently is getting constant. The best way to describe the pain is that it feels like a running cramp that won't go away. I have had sonograms, ct scan, blood work, etc and nothing has come up negative or noticeable. Everyone once in a while the pain or "spasm" seems to move to the upper left chest area but 90% of the time it stays right under that lower right rib area. It drives me crazy. When I breath in and out quickly or sit for any length of time is when I really feel the "cramping" feeling. When I arch my back or lay on my side sometimes it goes away for a while.

Anyone had this and any suggestions?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:34 pm

User avatar Hello,
I wonder if you are experiencing trapped gas. Have you tried taking something for gas or even antacids? Mylanta, Milk of Magnesia or Maalox can be good. Be sure to get moderate exercise, perhaps a daily walk. If this does not help and you have already been tested for other concerns, you may need to watch and wait but see a doctor if it gets worse or does not get better over time.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us