Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Belches taste like tar???

lost_soul - Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:40 pm

Hi. About 3 days ago I had (i think) a virus that caused me to have a headache, VERY bad nausea and vomiting, and diarrhea.. Now, (and for the past 2 days) I haven't been able to eat or drink much due to the horrible nausea that won't go away,diarrhea still and when i belch it tastes really bad... kind of like what tar smells like (does that make any sense?). I am 26, female, not pregnant, non-smoker, non-drinker, etc. What could this be and should i be worried?????? If you need more info, please let me know. Thanks!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:34 pm

I suspect you were getting some reflux of bile. Sometimes when your stomach is empty of food but you are still vomiting, bile is all that is there. This can be very nasty-tasting. Hopefully it was a transcient problem and you are better now, able to tolerate food, etc. If it continues you should be checked for GERD (esophogeal reflux). Of course you can take antacids if that helps.