Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: treatment????

 docc - Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:59 am

i need to know if i should get treated for hepatits c. i know i have it,the gi doctor said its active(i see him oct 20)and some of my blood work was a little high,alt/sgpt results 71 normal range 8-54,monocyte 11.7 normal range 8.0-10.0,protein 8.3 nr 6.2-7.8,albumin 4.9 nr 3.6-4.6. i would just like to know if maybe i should get treated or if i don't have to worry about it thank you,docc
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:28 am

User avatar Hello Docc,
Approximately 30 percent of patients with chronic HCV infection have normal ALT levels, and another 40 percent have ALT levels less than two times the upper limit of normal. Although most of these patients have mild disease, histologically, some may progress to advanced fibrosis and cirrhosis. Experts differ on whether to biopsy and treat these patients.

Numerous factors must be considered in recommending treatment, including favorable genotype, presence of hepatic fibrosis, patient motivation, symptoms, severity of comorbid illness, and the patient's age. When patients with normal or minimally elevated ALT levels are treated with monotherapy, their SVR (sustained viral response) rates are similar to those of patients with higher ALT levels. Studies of pegylated interferon with ribavirin have not been completed in patients with normal ALT levels.

Have you done a biopsy and have you determined the genotype involved.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:32 pm

User avatar To reply to this message, just click the "post a reply" button below.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us