Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: pancreatic insufficiency

jennifer1b - Mon May 12, 2008 6:08 am

My daughter, aged 43, had a stool sample done and the lab said she has pancreatic insufficiency. Her history is a gallbladder removed almost 2 years ago with complications resulting in pancreatitis. We are concerned because her aunt passed away from Zollinger Ellison Syndrom. Would this be a possible diagnosis? What would be the most likely reason for this? I have gerd and Barrett's esophagus.
Could her defficiency be caused by scar tissue blocking the bile duct?
She does have an appointment for a follow up soon but we are imagining bad things.
 jennifer1b - Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:45 am

a colonoscopy showed probable ibd, proctitis, perhaps ulcertive colitis or
chrones.
she is taking one oral med and an enema once a day for 28 days.
told to go on a high fiber diet
shouldn't she get well first before she loads up on fiber?
doctors don't explain everything in a logical way, at least
for me
what else should she do now?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us