Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Mucous in stool

aume - Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:00 pm

A few days ago I noticed some clear/yellowish mucous in my stool (when I wiped). My bowl movements have been normal and when I went this morning I noticed mucous again although much less. The stool on both occasions was slightly yellowish but normal consistency.

I'm wondering what might cause this and is it something to concern myself with? I'm a 26yo F and I had a colonoscopy 2 years ago for rectal bleeding which came back clear aside from a fissure.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:46 am

I hope you are feeling better. Mucus is a sign of the bowel being irritated and it may be a temporary thing that is self limited. If mucous secretion persists it may be that you are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Other less common inflammatory bowel conditions, e.g. ulcerative colitis may cause mucus to appear on the stool. In addition to persistence of symptoms you should be on the look out for any other symptoms e.g. bleeding, pain or any other change in bowel habits. As always you are advised to seek direct medical attention for your condition.