Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: swollen sore tongue

Sandrak - Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:59 pm

I am a 36 year old female. For the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my tongue has been hurting when I swallow. Now my tongue has swollen and it really hurts to swallow. I don't know if this is related to this problem, but it really hurts in my chest to take a deep breath. I am also very fatigued. What could the tongue problem be?
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:19 pm

User avatar Hi!

Any inflammation or allergy of the throat/tooth/lymph node can spread to the tongue to cause it to inflame and swell.

Have you tried saline gargle or/and anti-inflammatory medicines? If so, you might want to get yourself examined to find out what is going on. How often have you been having this pain on breathing? If isolated episodes, one can lower the guard, but if often enough, one should seek help. Inflammation of the covering of the lung, pleuritis, is a common cause for pain on breathing, although lung problems, muscular, neurological, skin, as well as lung problems can cause this.

A swollen tongue has many other causes that you might want to know.

Hope this helps.

bill