Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: HELP

Selinasway - Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:33 pm

I would really love some help with this problem. I have been having severe abdominal pain for about 20 years now. It comes and goes. I had the pain about once or twice a year at the beginning, but now I have it almost monthly.

It starts out with a loose bowel movement and then severe lower left abdominal pain. It is horrible, I can't move without angony, the pain is throbbing and it lasts about two days and then just goes away.

I have had a colonoscopy, which was normal, CT, MRI, upper GI, lower GI, and x-rays, nothing is ever revealed. The pain is so severe I can not even describe it. I have not gone to the doctor when I am in pain, because I am paralyzed by it, but afterwards I have and the doctors tell me it is spastic colon?

I love the Doc's they have done everything, but I wonder if they could be missing something, any ideas would be greatly appreciated it.
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:37 pm

User avatar Hi!

There are many causes for left lower abdominal pain. Since all the diagnostic tests have turned out to be normal in your case, you may want to discuss with your doctor regarding each cause that you think might be behind your pains. Ischemic colitis, mesenteric ischemia, and gynecological causes are missed mostly in diagnosing the cause in such cases.

Hope this helps.

bill