Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pain while belching

 kamarjitsinha - Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:58 am

For about 40 days I suffered from pain in my upper right abdomen , just below my ribs whenever I belch. There is no pain after I belch. Till the next belch. I also belched excessively say about 15-20 times within 1/2 hour of major meals. I had done one ultrasound and barium x ray but nothing significant was found. Sunsequently endoscopy was done and the doctor told me antral erosion was detected, other parts normal. I have been prescribed pantaprazole 40 mg daily and domperidome 10 mg twice daily for 8 weeks. Also I have been advised to avoid milk.
My details : age 42 yrs, gender : male, occupation : service ( administrative, 6 days 8 hr p/day job), married, weight 74 kg, height 5feet 11 ", dependents: spouse & daughter. I have been a non smoke for the ;ast 14 years. I have not touched alcohol for the last 40 days, even before that I was a moderate drinker say two glasses of winr every week max.
The pain associated with belching is no longer there after about 20 days of taking the above medicines. However the problem has not dissapered completely.

What is antral erosin?. Do I have to take the medicines for a long time? Is it possible that I may re-laspe after I stiop the medicines or can this condition lead to peptic ulcer? What sort of diet to folow? What to avoid?

I am from India.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:14 am

User avatar Hello -

Antral erosion is rather similar to a gastric ulcer, but located specifically at the outlet of the stomach. It is generally caused by hyperacidity but may also, like some gastric ulcers, be caused by the bacterium h. pylori. Symptoms are similar to that of gastric ulcer or gastritis.

How long you have to take the medicine will depend on how long it takes for the condition to heal. It can take from several weeks to several months, and the problem can return, but this is neither certain nor very predictable. Since it is so similar to an ulcer there is really no practical difference in the management of either.

Diet is generally a healthy diet but whole milk is often advised against because it actually can promote production of stomach acid and make the problem worse. Skim milk is generally considered to be ok as a substitute. Otherwise, diet is basically trial-and-error, and foods you find agreeable are generally fine to eat. A healthy diet is always best, just as a general guide. While a bland diet used to be the rule for this sort of problem, it's been found that it really doesn't make much difference, so you should eat those things that least aggravate the problem.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us as needed.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:18 am

User avatar Hi,

I agree with John. I hope you are feeling better. Please keep us updated regarding your condition.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us