Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: anorexia...

 courage - Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:18 pm


I am anorexic. I am constantly dizzy and feel like i am going to faint. i am eating and drinking more and i don't feel well at all. what is wrong?
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:07 am

User avatar Hello:
You stated you are "constantly" dizzy. By constantly, do you mean it never stops or that it has been occuring at times over a long period of time. Malnutrition and/or dehydration certainly can cause one to feel faint and if that has been occuring for an extended period then eating and drinking for a few days will not be enough time to correct the problem. Are you being treated for your anorexia? Are you bulemic also? If you are not under the care of a physician who specializes with anorexia then you need to get to one as soon as possible. Continuing to deprive your body of the nutrients you need can only lead to one outcome. There are great therapist out there who can help treat you for anorexia. You do not have to gain a lot of weight in order to provide the right nutrients to keep you healthy but you do have to eat balanced meals with the right amount of protein, carbohydrates and fats. When your body does not get these from the foods you eat then it will take it first from your stores of fat then from muscle tissue which includes your organs. In other words the body starts eating itself for the food it needs. Before you allow that to happen you need to get treatment. Please let me know how things go for you. I do care.
Best of health to you,
 courage - Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:34 pm


Thanks for replying. I am dizzy off and on, but it feels constant. Yes I do see a doc that specializes in eds. I am starting with a new therapist on thursday although she doesn't specialize in eds. I have a problem because I have just been deamed uninsurable. So I have no insurance coverage and now have to apply for medicaid. I am seeing an intern therapist at the school I go to.

My doc is pretty up to date on things. I just don't want to be hospitalized again, so I don't dare ask her these questions.

Thanks again,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us