Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: coin lodged in sigmoid colon/Gastroenterology

 cal kid - Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:29 pm

I have just found out that I have a coin of approximately 28mm diameter lodged in my sigmoid colon. I haven't swallowed a coin since I was seven years old in 1979. It is most likely copper and silver plated. I have a pressure sensation (sometimes quite painful) in the lower left quadrant and this worsens just prior to bowel movements. Bowel movements have always been slow and irregular/incomplete. What is the best way to remove this? What are the possible health effects that this would have caused over 29 years? Once this is removed can I expect a full recovery or do you think that there will be any lasting complications due to the length of time that it has been in there?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:29 pm

User avatar Hi Cal Kid,

It would be very unusual for a coin to remain in the sigmoid colon for nearly 30 years. If this is the case, it is almost certainly imbedded somehow preventing it's movement. I suspect the first step in this is to have a colonoscopy to evaluate the suspicious area. The sigmoid colon is easily examined by colonoscopy. The foreign body can often be removed by this method as well.

Recovery time from such a procedure is generally minimal. If the object has caused some damage the recovery time may be longer. I would recommend you see a GI specialist about this to help determine a proper treatment/evaluation method for this.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us