Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: GERD rectal bleeding

flying_jp_77 - Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:25 pm

I wake up on the morning with severe lower back pain til I have BM. The BM is very soft(not formed) with mucas and blood also usually containing what looks like coffee grounds and undigested food. I went from a BM every other day to 3 BM's daily all before lunch. I have had chronic anal itching for 13 months I recently had both colonoscopy and gastroscope done which revealed 3 precancerous colon polyps and GERD with the Heliobacter pylori bacteria. I was on Pantoloc for 8 weeks and am still having all the above symptoms along with beltching and frequent hiccups. WIll these symptoms go away on there own or should I seek further medical attention? My doctor said my colon was probably inflammed and would continue having the mucas in stool longterm, as for the heartburn I have been taking up to 14 rolaids daily, is this amount safe to take longterm?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:34 am

User avatar Hello,

Thanks for your question. I think you should pursue this further. It could be that there are several conditions at play here. The polyps may cause mucous with stools and coffee grounds may be a result of gastric inflammation (H. pylori).

Your doctor will determine what is the best way to go depending on your age, risk of cancer.

I hope you feel better soon.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us